Why having the best ideas doesn’t make you a successful entrepreneur?
It is true that your ideas translate to your business plan, but having a brilliant business idea doesn’t guarantee you will have a successful business. It takes more than that. You need more than a business idea to get your business going . If other factors are not put in place, you may start a business with a good idea only for it to crumble along the line because it lacks other essential building resources. If you want to create a successful business, your planning is crucial to its success. You may successfully launch your business but poor planning would make it fail.
First of all, your business idea may already be in the market, meaning you would be having some good competitions. If you can’t make your own idea stand out and be unique, it would be difficult for you to succeed in that field when there are already providers of that service in the market.
How would you be able to get customers then? And if you are able to get customers, would the income you get from the business be sustainable for you? So you see, having a business idea alone does not guarantee you will be a successful entrepreneur.
Secondly, when an aspiring entrepreneur get a seemingly wonderful business idea, they would be so enthusiastic to bring it to life, thus they quickly put things in place and launch the business. This ought not to be so. When starting a business, your timing is very crucial. If you launch your business at a time when the services are not highly demanded, you would make very little income from it; but if you launch your business in a period where the services are highly sought after, you would make a lot of profits from it. So, timing is crucial to a business’ success and not just having the idea alone.
In addition, when you conceive a business idea, do you ask yourself if your choice of business would benefit customers? What is the essence of starting a business if customers would not be interested in patronizing you? As awesome as your business idea may seem to you, if it does not meet customer’s needs, it would end up becoming useless in the market. So, your business idea would not transform you to a successful entrepreneur if your services does not meet customer’s needs.
Furthermore, the business industry is a place where change is constant. Things come into vogue and goes out of vogue. At the initial time you launching your business, the idea may cause a stir in the market and demand for your services may be high, but further into the year, a new idea may come into the market and people may prefer that to yours; this would cause a drastic change for you, as demand for your services would reduce. So, a business idea is not enough to make you a successful entrepreneur because new ideas will keep coming and customers prefer what is in trend than an outdated idea.
Also, having a business idea is one thing and successfully launching it is another. For your idea to emerge successfully in the market, you need good planning and implementation. So, a good idea but coupled with poor planning and implementation would only make your business a failure.
Similarly, a good idea is not enough to make you a successful business man when you don’t have people to invest in it. You need financial resources to launch your business and if you don’t have adequate finances to launch it, you would have to seek for financial aids and open your business to prospective investors. You need to be able to convince those prospective investors that your idea is marketable and they can make good profit from investing in it. So, a business idea would not transform you to a successful business man if you don’t have the financial resources to launch it.
In addition, you may have a wonderful business idea which is highly demanded in the market, but if you don’t market your services effectively, the news of it would not reach a large number of potential customers and you would end up earning lower than you should have if you had marketed effectively. So, a business idea cannot translate into a successful business without effective marketing strategies.
Now that we know that a good business idea is not enough to make you a successful entrepreneur, how then can you turn your business idea to become a valuable business venture which would make you a successful business man?
1. When you have a business idea, develop it to become unique and different, because you would encounter competition in the market. So in order for your business to stand out and attract customers from other businesses, your services must be unique.
2. It is normal to feel excited because of a new idea you must have gotten, but don’t let this excitement cause you to rush into launching a business. Timing is important for starting a business. Launch your business at a time when it is highly demanded, because that is when you would make good profit.
3. Make sure your business idea meets people’s needs. Customers would only patronize you if the services you want to provide are essential to them. So ensure that your services actually provides solutions to problems.
4. You need adequate financial resources to bring your business to reality. Your business idea and plan should convince prospective investors of the sure profit they would make from investing in your business.
5. Be ready to pivot. Don’t be focused on just one basic idea because a lot of new ideas are coming into the market, hence the need of adding new ideas to your business to keep it going even when old ideas are less demanded.
6. In order to create a successful business, it requires adequate planning. Develop an effective business plan and implement it effectively.
In this article, we have seen that having the best idea does not make you a successful entrepreneur, but by following the above mentioned steps, you would be able to transform your business idea into a successful venture and become a successful entrepreneur.
Thanks for reading.
Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels